Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].
10/15/2014
The Epic of Gilgamesh
Shortly after starting the video of the Epic of Gilgamesh, I could tell that this would be an interesting story. Starting off with the fact that he was 2/3 divine and 1/3 human. That fun fact sparked interest in me. Then one of the commentators said that he pictured him to be around 8 or 9 feet. That made me wonder, how would someone who is 2/3 a God and 1/3 human appear. Would he be invincible, is he similar to a modern day superman and has a weakness? Then it really got interesting when they said that basically a clone of Gilgamesh was sent down, from what I understood as the Heavens. They then come across each other and have a battle that lasted 40 days and 40 nights. If I was to meet my clone, I would have definitely handled that situation a little differently. But after the reasoning behind the fight and the story of Enkidu and him having sex, I realized that this epic has some very valuable lessons. One being that a person needs to humble their self and the other lesson being that a man is nothing but a wild animal without a woman.
Labels:
09/16/2014,
Matthew Thomas
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also found it interesting that he was 2/3 divine and 1/3 human; I think this allowed the character to have a more humane side while still being able to accomplish more divine things. This fact also made him a bit more relatable than completely distancing himself as a god.
ReplyDelete