"...There were stories that ended and instead of going in circles and cycles, and the story of the beautiful god was one of those, and she found it grimly satisfactory. Though her readings and rereadings at all times of the year gave it a kind of eternal reoccurance. The story ended, but she began it again.
These gods, she understood, were apprehensive gods, fearful gods, right from the beginning. Asgard had defensive walls and sentinels on watch. There was an expectation of doom..."
I thought the first part of this passage was interesting because of the way that she kept the stories alive by simply rereading them. I've heard people say things like this when talking about Harry Potter books, like if you read them again all your favorite characters are alive again because JK Rowling decided to kill them all off one by one. I thought it was a good description of that feeling when you reread a book.
The second part of this passage was interesting to me because of the way it described the "gods" in the story. I mean to me these creatures don't really seem god-like, they're more like greek mythological "gods" in that they have flaws and they have fears. To me that would also just make it seem like they aren't really similar to God at all. They may have powers beyond human capacity, but I don't think that means that much if they have fear.
I chose the first passage you quoted as well, and even though I interpreted it a little differently, I agree that it refers to the way that stories are almost a living entity. It is interesting to apply this to the idea of myths, because myths have been historically handed down verbally and oftentimes evolve and change, making them even more life-like.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that these gods are not very similar to the religious concept of a supreme god. But they are not intended to be similar. Norse mythology is far more similar to Greek mythology than to other monotheistic religions. It is intriguing to see the stories of these figures play out: In some ways they are larger than life and in that way they are true to the word "god"; but in some ways they are just like us and in that way I find the stories to be very relatable, as it seems that the thin child does as well.
ReplyDeleteYeah, they're not your typical gods. I think that's why she likes them though. If she's bored with religion, believing in these flawed gods may stimulate her instead. Maybe, she feels much more related to these mythical gods instead of believing in the one perfect God. She's making them more human-like on purpose.
ReplyDelete