Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

10/20/2014

10/21/14 - Babel Translations

Prior to going through the assigned readings regarding the story of Babel, I had a very rudimentary understanding of what it discussed. I did not know the background information that is necessary to develop a strong understanding of this Biblical story, so I did some research and learned that it was set after the Great Flood and that it is important to take into account that humanity was united at that point, speaking the same language. I found it interesting how the different translations allowed me to have a different perspective of the story, but at times it was confusing because I did not know which one was "the best" or the most thorough. When I was reading the different translations, the phrase "And the whole earth was of one language and one speech". This phrase struck me because of the fact that it emphasizes the idea how before humans were "scattered" around the Earth by God, they (according to the myth) were unified by one language. It is interesting to note that today languages are barriers and are often the reasons why people from different countries have a hard time understanding each other's cultures. However, the story demonstrates how our world became so diverse and why people from different areas of the Earth are so unique.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very unique perspective on the story. I like knowing that you did some personal research on the topic to further your understanding of the text. Language is a very effective barrier between people, and it is amazing how the misinterpretation of something because of a language barrier can lead to a great amount of trouble. I like the tone of your post because it is honest and curious; however, I wonder if a truly rational god would do such a thing to humanity.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.