Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

10/20/2014

Babel Response

I wasn't familiar with the story of Babel before this reading. In the Islamic traditions there is a story of the pharaoh from the time of Moses where he asks for a tower to be made to reach the God of Moses. However there is no story of the Babel or of the languages being made after the building etc. 
 
On the contrary it says in the Quran "O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted." So in the Islamic tradition tribes and nations were meant to unify people.

The story of the Babel depicts God in a different light to what I'm used to because God is not afraid of people. 

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting perspective on the issue! I really like the last line of your blog post, as it begs the question of whether the god in Babel is afraid, or jealous of humanity. I find it hard to believe that a god could be afraid of the humanity he supposedly created, so I think this story illustrates the jealousy of this god, which is not a very godly characteristic either. This story illustrates how different perceptions of god can radically change how people worship that god.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I didn't understand the way God was portrayed as being afraid of the people or having a "jealousy factor." It does bring a different light to God in these stories. In contrast, to what I can reference in the Quran, God wants us to be unified and know one another. These text selections we read display God in a negative perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.