Although I am not a religious person, I am fascinated by this story. I think it absolutely one of the coolest in the bible.
I love that it openly addresses the ideas of hubris, something that is consistently referenced in not only the bible, but also in many Greek and other ancient writings. The idea that man was capable to the point of frivolity due to the fact that everyone spoke the same language almost frightened God--an interesting notion. The people of Babel were building a tower so high that it was feared it would reach the heavens and man would, in turn, be on the same plane as God.
Although many believe this story to be admonition of hubris and pride among mankind, I almost see it/it could be interpreted as a celebration of multiculturalism. I know this is not the traditional belief, but when you consider the story, it makes sense.
Up until this point all of mankind lived in the exact same place and spoke the exact same language--very single faceted. Then God decides it might be nice if there was some diversity among his people, so he creates language, and spreads everyone all about the land, rather than in their one condensed place...I don't know, but I kinda like that interoperation better.
I really appreciate your interpretation of the story of Babel. Although many times it is interpreted as a story of punishment, I think the interpretation of the story as a "celebration of multiculturalism" should be explored more thoroughly. It does indeed make sense, and I would like to find out how many people interpret the story in a positive light rather than a negative light.
ReplyDeleteAn interesting point to consider under your interpretation is the fact that the Bible, and by default the story of Babel, was translated into so many languages, which seems to go against God's will from the story of Babel. How do you think that could factor in to your interpretation?
ReplyDelete