Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

10/15/2014

Gilgamesh

When I was watching the video, once it mentioned that it originated in Iraq, I quickly asked my parents about this story. My family is from Iraq and it was interesting to see how this story was very famous to the Iraqis. Also, an interesting fact about the video: the city nineveh, in Arabic, it's naynawah and it's also the present city of Mosul. This story was regarded highly in Iraq because Iraq was always known to be the first successful civilization and here was proof of a book that originated more than 4,000 years. Also, religiously, Iraq was always regarded as where all the prophets originate from. So I found it very interesting that this story had religious similarities in prophethood like Noah. Most people support the theory that the reason these stories bear many similarities to what we have in religion is because the story may have some truth in it but the differences lie where people change the story overtime if it's not preserved. So when that guy in the video said I'm surprised it survived in the Middle East. It shouldn't create the idea that when you read Gilgamesh, it makes you a pagan, just the same way that reading the Odyssey doesn't make you a believer in the Greek gods. You can somehow defend your religion or read it like any other story.

4 comments:

  1. I was immediately attracted to this blog post because I found it very interesting that you had a personal connection to the story of Gilgamesh. It is fascinating to me that Gilgamesh originated in Iraq over 4,000 years ago. I think it would be fun to research this further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's very interesting. I didn't really know about this story until we had to read it in this class. I also enjoyed how this story related with similar struggles we have today like the struggle with mortality and the loss of a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also find it very cool how you had that connection with this great epic. One quick question, in the video they mention the city of Uruk(where Gilgamesh is from), is Uruk modern day Mosul?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so interesting! It makes me think that the stories aren't similar coincidentally.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.