Bill Maher’s Religilous
was definitely a controversial documentary. As a Catholic, while watching the
documentary, I found myself confused about why I held the beliefs that I do.
Then, after sitting for about five minutes without Maher’s influence after the
documentary ended, I realized that even though the beliefs held by every
religion may seem silly to someone who is determined to hate religion, religion
is an important aspect of being human. Although Maher expressed the desire to
rid the world of religion, and while I believe that religion and politics do
not mix well, the human condition will never be independent of religion. I
think Maher and many others need to work on gaining more tolerance for people
who hold a different set of beliefs from them. Tolerance is the only real
solution to the problems that arise because of religion, because the
abolishment of religion will never be a feasible option.
I completely agree with you. I believe that Maher's ideas are well supported and plausible, but that doesn't mean he can shoot down my own personal beliefs just because he feels like it. It was very biased documentary that made me feel bad about my personal beliefs
ReplyDeleteI agree, Bill Maher approached the topic of religion overzealously; he should not be working towards abolishing religion or forcing it down anyone's throat but to build an acceptance for all ideas. He should be trying to get religious people to understand science instead of condemning it and vice versa: atheists should allow others to have their own opinions about origins and etc.
ReplyDeleteI agree that Bill Maher's "Religious" is very controversial. I think that people should be able to be able to believe what they want, and to me Maher crosses the line when he says we should rid the world of religion. I think that although religion and politics don't mix well, they should both be able to exist in society.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with your point. Although Bill Maher portrays religion in a bad light, there are also beneficial things about religion. It gives meaning and comfort to millions of people all over the world. It is frustrating how he forces himself and others to pick the extremes: either science or faith. Why can't they both exist in the world together?
Delete