Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].
10/09/2014
Religulous Response
Bill Maher's Religulous was incredibly thought provoking and definitely forced me to question everything I have been told about religion since I was a child. Even though I don't consider myself to be religious, as my parents decided to let me choose what if religion is right for me, I have never had a very radical view regarding organized faith. However, it was very interesting to see Bill Maher interview people who had very strong views regarding Christianity, Islam and Judaism as it demonstrated how some people grow up in an environment that almost shuns science and reason. I think Bill Maher essentially interviewed people who were complete opposites to the protagonists (the two scientists) of The Unbelievers. To a certain degree or not I think religion has been the cause of many of the wars that have occurred in the past, but the strange thing about this fact is the idea that the three main religions in question are all the same when it comes to the basic roots. Somehow people manage to launch ideological wars against each other even though their core beliefs are very similar and because of that I can understand Maher's negativity regarding religion. However, Maher is also a staunch defender of gay rights and because of that he decided to interview many people who had incredibly archaic views regarding gay rights. All in all I thought that in order to elicit a response from people, Maher had to develop a piece that was radical and because of the negative sentiment towards the way he went out about making this documentary I think he was quite successful and delivering his message.
Labels:
10/09/2014,
Tommaso Angelini
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.