The story of Babel is quite interesting to me, especially since I am so unfamiliar with it. The story is so short, yet it speaks volumes about hubris and trying to achieve the same level as God, trying to "out-play" him by trying to be above the next catastrophe he sends down, even though he has promised not to destroy the earth.
I really do enjoy the fact that the story of the origin of the different languages throughout the earth, which serves as a warning for becoming too powerful under one language, has been translated into so many other languages, effectively overstepping the language barrier between different cultures and unifying them with a story that is about the dangers of total unity. Just something that I found interesting; sorry if my thoughts are hard to understand.
I found the story harder to understand, but after reading your post it makes a lot more sense now. I like the connection you made between translations and the idea of unification.
ReplyDelete