Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

10/20/2014

10/21/2014 Ian Crowley

I had no prior knowledge of Babel before reading these texts, and I found it quite interesting. I had never though that at one point in time all humans on earth were unified and spoke the same language. Whether or not this idea is realistic, I find it fascinating. Before reading Babel I had never though of the cultural divide between different nations to be a form punishment. To me it seems to be more of an inconvenience. It is interesting to see a new perspective on the way different languages and cultures were developed. I don't necessarily believe that a god could have scattered humans all across the earth and forced them to speak different languages, however I still find the idea intriguing.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. I don't believe that God's creation of the diversity of the world was a form of punishment. In my religion, Islam, it's encouraged to refer back to the Arabic Language as often as one can to build a somewhat language people can build on, so writings don't lose their meanings in translation. From what I personally believed, God promotes a similar language and for people to understand one another. These text selections were very interesting in how the text selections portrayed God to look down upon using one language because I had never had that perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.