Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].
10/15/2014
Gilgamesh
I wasn't familiar with the epic of Gilgamesh before watching this video, and I found it to be a really cool introduction to both the story and it's importance in human history. I liked seeing the various ways each person interpreted and connected with the text, and it illustrates the power of some truly human emotions and thoughts to transcend time and geography. Like they mentioned in the video, it is fascinating that we are still, after 2000 years of obscurity, able to directly connect and empathize with the characters and situations presented in the epic. I think the struggle to grasp the concept of death, and come to terms with the finite nature of life is the root of all religion and philosophy, both of which have had such a formative influence on history and consequently the present world we live in. It is interesting to have a glimpse at the way these first writers chose to capture and convey this struggle.
Labels:
10/16/14,
Kaia Hayes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I do agree with this, it is so fascinating to know that people thousands of years ago felt the same way we do today. I also find it assuring to know that people asked the same questions they we do today. the question being that what happens to us when we die? I think that this question led Gilgamesh towards his quest for immortality
ReplyDeleteI agree, it's so interesting to hear of a story from so long ago that we can relate to as human beings. It truly does transcend time, for many reasons, one of which is the strong emotions that are represented in the story.
ReplyDelete