Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

10/29/2014

Ragnarok

'I know that I hung on a windy tree
nine long nights
Wounded with a spear dedicated to
Odin
Myself to myself, on that tree of which 
no man knows
From where its roots run.

No bread did they give me nor drink 
from a horn,
Downwards I peered;
I too up the runes, screaming I took
them
Then I feel back from there.

Nine mighty spells I learned. . . 


Although this is a relatively short passage, I found much relevance in it. From my understanding it is describing the torture that the God Odin went through which in turn strengthened him. While reading about Asgard, I saw a connection between Odin and what the Christian faith would call a demon. There was no surprise that later on in the text he was described as the God of Death and Battle, which I find ironic in itself. In the text it is mentioned that Odin accepts human sacrifices in a pretty gruesome way, and that is obviously where he got some of the ideas from. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.