Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].
10/08/2014
Bill Maher's Religulous
Similar to Richard Dawkin's and Lawrence Krauss' The Unbelievers, it was hard to watch Bill Maher's Religulous at times. The way these non-believers approached the religious views of other people was very rude and not very effective. It was also frustrating and tiring to watch the ongoing cycle of Bill Maher attacking people's religious views followed by those people defending their positions. There was no evidence to support any of the two sides, which would allow the viewers to base their opinions off of. Instead, it just felt like both sides were very biased towards there own ideas. Although I understand the message of the documentary, I don't think it was the best way for it to come across. Whether someone is religious or not, I think it important to be aware and respectful towards both the scientific world and religious world. If this was the case, people would be less likely to force what they think is "right" on to others.
Labels:
10/08/2014,
Amanda Jung
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with your post. This documentary struck me in a very similar manner to "The Unbelievers." Honestly I found it even more difficult to watch. It is simply rude and offensive, and goes about the issue in entirely the wrong way.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you as well Amanda. It was frustrating to have to listen to my personal beliefs be attacked for over two hours, and I wished that Bill Maher could have argued his point more compassionately. It doesn't make sense why religious people and non-religious people feel the need to attack each other so viciously.
ReplyDeleteI agree; the real issue with religion and other controversial topics is that no one is able to calmly respect one another. Words calmly spoken are louder than any scream and watching Bill Maher as he dismisses everyone was frustrating and pointless. If he's going to film a documentary, he should be willing to consider all sides of the argument instead of offensively disregarding them.
ReplyDelete