Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

10/26/2014

Quran

After reading the selections from the Quran, I am mainly trying to translate the reading into concepts that I can more fully understand. The english used was somewhat confusing to me, but some general concepts stuck out to me: Some of the concepts that stuck out were the punishment that seems to be considered commonplace for people who do not worship Allah, and the insistence that Allah created everything and is all knowing. It would be interesting to me to find out whether or not Muslims believe that nonbelievers should be punished in a human way, or if it is expected that Allah will punish the nonbelievers. It seems to me that this would be very much up to interpretation, which could in itself be the cause of the existence of certain muslim sects that take it upon themselves to punish those that they view as transgressors. There was a quote that stuck out to me: "And if they call you a liar, say: My work is for me and your work for you; you are clear of what I do and I am clear of what you do." To me, the implication of this is that a person who is on a religious path is on that path for better or for worse, and someone who is not on that path is "clear" of it. Though this may not be the intention of the quote, it says to me that as long as one's religious practice does not infringe on other people's personal freedoms, then it is acceptable. Along the same line, in the case of a non religious person (or even an atheist), the same applies: Non-belief is acceptable to the extent that it does not infringe on other people's personal freedoms.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the writing seemed to have a focus on the punishment of non-believers. Passages like this can easily be construed as rationale to harm people of different faiths, and I feel that this may be what is happening in the Middle East, today. I agree that there was a focus on Allah being all-knowing, which doesn't make sense because that means he deliberately creates non-believers who do not believe in him. That doesn't seem very logical to me, and therefore I find the meaning behind the writing to be ambiguous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Casey that the verse he cited promoted religious acceptance. Another translation of the quote is "And if they belie you, say: "For me are my deeds and for you are your deeds! You are innocent of what I do, and I am innocent of what you do!"" The texts we read consisted of very loose translations by yusufali, pickthal, and shakir. They were only translators. The one I translated is from Dr. Mohsin where in Arabic, it's not "work", it's "deeds." Nice catch! It does relate to people's personal freedoms.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.