Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].
10/20/2014
Babel
I was unfamiliar with Babel, so reading all the different translations and views of interpretation upon it were interesting. Some recurring themes that I saw in all the translations were hubris and the wrath of a higher being(Ywah). I also didn't really get why the god punished the humans and scattered them everywhere right after the big flood. I mean I get that they were building a great tower and were united under a common language, but why would god be afraid of mere people? Also many people say that the tower was built so that they would be on level with god, but how high could a tower truly be built back then. It was still interesting to read how Babel has been translated so many times and how it still generally manages to say the same story, because often times multiple translations of a text skew the true meaning of it.
Labels:
10/20/14,
Akshay Jain
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had never heard of Babel before this either. I am also confused as to why the god punished the people right after the flood. I don't think the god was necessarily afraid of the people. Maybe for some reason the god was just trying to put them in their place.
ReplyDelete