Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].
10/20/2014
Response to "Babel"
The various religious texts we have read in class lately have confused me greatly. Each story brings with it a new set of impossible events that I have a lot of trouble deriving any meaning from. In the case of Babel, I am confused as to why the god who promised not to destroy humanity again after the world-devouring floods incident has permanently harassed humans by scattering them throughout the earth. This god is so afraid of human unity that he can't stand the thought of them working together to achieve something great. I find it so interesting that this god seems to be reacting to human actions in this story, even though he is supposed to know everything that has been and everything that will be. This god doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, and therefore I have a lot of trouble taking any meaning away from these stories. I wonder if this god felt satisfied after scattering the humans throughout the earth and confusing their languages. If so, I would consider him to be a jealous god, and that doesn't sound very godly to me at all. The story of Babel has added to the list of biblical stories that make me extraordinarily skeptical of the existence of a god.
Labels:
10/21/14,
Alex Kendig
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree, I too was confused as to why the god would scatter the people after the great flood and whether it all made sense. Why would the all powerful and omniscient god be afraid of the people who are united under a common language. Even though I am not completely skeptical of religion, things like this sometimes just don't make sense to me at all.
ReplyDelete