Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

9/29/2014

Y: The Last Man

Although I said this about the last reading we did, this was absolutely my favorite reading of the year so far. It was not only an entertaining and fast-paced read, but also a very poignant and unique storyline.
From page one I was totally hooked. The dialogue was quick, the art was beautiful, and the way it kept jumping between minutes was very intriguing. In fact, the whole chronology of the story was very interesting to me. I have never read something that, in between pages, jumps anywhere from a second, to a minute, to a day, to a month. That was something that took some getting used to.
As for the characters, each one was so unique and interesting. Yorick's quirkiness and incessant optimism (or mockery of the situation) made him incredibly likable. Dr. Mann and Agent 355 were both incredibly mysterious in their own ways.
The authors do a great job of keeping the reader guessing all the way until the end. When Hero revealed she was an Amazonian I verbally said "oh shit!" while reading. When it ended I was almost upset and I googled Y: the Last Man to see if the other volumes were available online...they were not.
I also loved all of the references thrown in all over the place. First of all, I am huge shakespeare fan and the addition of Yorick and Hero made me laugh. My favorite reference was when Yorick says to 355 "if you'll be my bodyguard, you can call me Al" referring to the Paul Simon song.
The part that really got me was at the Washington Monument (phallically the memorial for men) and Yorick bonds with the woman over all of the dead musicians. That hit me deep and it all felt very real at that point. It was something I would never have thought of in a million years. It was such a simple thing, but it was so sad at the same time.
In general this was an incredibly fast paced read and it kept me guessing until the very end. I have never in my life considered myself a comic book person, but I just might go out and find the rest of the volumes to this amazing story.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Jesse that this was my favorite reading so far. I don't know how the author made the heavy topic of a worldwide crisis so light-hearted and entertaining, but somehow he pulled it off. I think this is one of the great things about fiction that deals with the apocalypse. It gives us a sense of what a future disaster could entail to make us a bit more mentally ready, but at the same time it can entertain us.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.