Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

9/25/2014

My Imaginary Bunker Response

"The little bud of hopelessness that I have worked most of my adult life to stamp down blossomed inside of me and became full-fledged environmental anxiety. I used to think about climate change once a month; now I think about it multiple times a day."

This quotation was very depressing to come across.  Actually, the entire article was very negative to read.  Yes, I will acknowledge that there are plenty of problems with climate change and it is difficult to hold an optimistic view.  There is a certain extent of paranoia that the author has that is unhealthy.  The climate is something to be heavily concerned about given the severity of this situation and the detrimental, lasting effects that it will have on society and our environment.  However, there is a difference between keeping one's carbon footprint in the back of their mind versus letting this fear consume them.  Despite our scary, potential future if this climate issue is not tackled, I would never want this fear to be a constant, ever-present fear affecting my everyday life.  Environmental anxiety is beneficial in order to tackle issues, but can be detrimental if it is all one thinks about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.