Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

9/22/2014

9/23/14 Kaia Hayes

The concept of shock treatment highlighted by Naomi Klein in Shock Doctrine was one that I haven't previously had a lot of exposure to. I am familiar with several of the examples given in the book, however I had only ever studied them as isolated cases; it was interesting and definitely a little disturbing to view them as small parts of a much broader movement to advance neoconservatism and globalism for the benefit of capitalism. Klein's use of the torture as a metaphor for the way economists such as Friedman believe a disaster or earth-shaking event can and should be profited from is very apt, and conveys the feeling of vulnerability and helplessness that is surely felt by the people affected. While I can appreciate the redeeming qualities of capitalism, there is a very clear line that, when crossed, begins to hurt more than it helps. It's disconcerting to think that not only are there people who devise plans to benefit from the psychological discord of others, they believe it is a perfectly viable and opportunistic method.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.