Reading and viewing the various selections by Slavoj Zizek
proved to be some of the most peculiar activities I’ve taken part in. As such, there
are many small details of his assertions which I disagree with, but by which I
was not surprised, my political upbringing being as it were. What I found to be
most interesting though was the incredible crossover his theories had with my
own thoughts, and presumably, with many of your thoughts. He is certainly more
radical than I, but his ideas concerning the means by which apocalypse
(revelation) will occur, namely, through the three versions which he enumerates
in Living in the End Times. So how is this relevant to our nation and to
the world regarding apocalypse? I think the significance lies in this statement
from “Welcome to the Desert of the Real!”: “The United States just got a taste
of what goes on around the world on a daily basis, from Sarajevo to Groznyy,
from Rwanda and Congo to Sierra Leone.” The danger is the fact that the anguish
American’s felt on that day was comparable to the daily life of many people in
third world countries. As a rule, most people in developed nations are
oblivious (in that they can’t fathom it) to the horrors going on in their less
developed counterparts’ countries. To the people living in a place constantly
under plague, apocalypse will be just a magnification of what they normally
experience, but to us and other developed countries, apocalypse will appear to
be an insurmountable calamity on both the individual and corporate level,
leaving the modernized groups as helpless as we tend to view the third world
inhabitants.
I totally agree with what you're saying. It fascinates me that America has this obsession with the problems of other countries, yet we could never fully understand the scope at which they are being experiences. The apocalypse is merely a more severe version of what is already known to them, yet to a place of privilege, like America, the event is catastrophic.
ReplyDeleteNice post!
To tie into your insight on the effect of an apocalypse on struggling third world countries: It would be akin to the way that many first world countries are doing with issues such as global worming, simply accepting it as a part of their daily life and moving along like it was always there. I share similar views on Zizek's work.
ReplyDelete