Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

9/10/2014

Response to "Apocalypse: What Disasters Reveal" by Junot Díaz

I really enjoyed Diaz's explanation of an apocalypse and emphasizing that it can be meant as "a disruptive event that provokes revelation." I wanted to interject how relative and amazing that statement is. I really didn't know anything about Haiti until the earthquake. Catastrophes are not just about destruction or ruin, they bring to light a lot of things we forget is happening in the world. They really do "expose the underlying power structures, the injustices, the patterns of corruption and the unacknowledged inequalities." It helped the world bring a lot of attention to these critical matters that we should have paid attention to from earlier on.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I found this very interesting. Not many people knew about Haiti before 2010, but now people have seen it, and in some cases, are doing something about it. It's so sad that it takes a disaster to make people want to help.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.