This was probably my favorite reading we have done so far this year. While it was not challenging in any way, shape, or form, it was incredibly poignant, well written, and entertaining. Additionally, I found myself nodding in agreement many times while reading this article.
Meghan Matthew Bergman is essentially a paranoid environmental cynic. She is unable to escape the horrifying reality that is climate change and the environment. I found that I shared many of her disenchantments with the current state of the earth.
Like Bergman, I often wonder "what can I do to save this doomed planet?" I know that I should be doing something, but I find I don't truly take legitimate and meaningful action.
Coming from an environmentally conscious place like Denver, Colorado, I have grown up with Bike-to-Work days, recycling, and locally sourced, organic produce. These things are all part of my reality. Yet when I read something like "My Imaginary Bunker" I realize that pretty much everything I have done to "help" the planet is for nought. The problem is, an 18 year old boy can not make a monumental change alone. And when I marvel at the beauty of the planet as Zizek and Allan Gurganus, I find myself forgetting that the polar bears and penguins are nearly extinct.
This is the harsh reality our generation is faced with. I realize that as I am writing this blog post, I am doing absolutely nothing to save the planet...
Oh well, I guess I will just go recycle this water bottle I have next to me.
I agree with you Jesse. There are so many times when I want to think that I am doing something to help the planet, and then I step back and think: wow this action won't end global warming or do anything to make a noticeable change in the current state of the environment. However, I think what we all need to understand is that if each and every person thought in this way, no one would litter, or throw plastic water bottles in the trash can, or keep the lights on when exiting a room. Although practicing everyday green habits may not make a big change, we must at least refrain from committing everyday actions that harm the Earth.
ReplyDeleteI think this had a lot to do with our class discussions about other topics and the questions: Where do we start? Where does it end?
ReplyDeleteYes you are just one person and maybe the water bottle you recycled won't change the world today, but that doesn't mean you stop trying. It reminds me of some lines of a poem I wrote once:
'...Or maybe, in my own big, small way
I can change the world today
Because if everyone thought this way,
We’d be like snowflakes
A single snowflake will melt on my face
But millions, can change the human race
Like a storm
That can begin to transform
The world in which we live..."
At least you're recycling the water bottle next to you. Not a lot of people do that. Yeah, you might think it's insignificant. However, if everyone did those small things, then gradually we can make a change. We can have this amazing ripple effect.
ReplyDelete