I found it very interesting that the author, Megan Mayhew
Bergman, in “My Imaginary Bunker” was someone who regularly tried her
best to help the environment, but thought her own “righteousness” felt
“useless”. If a vegetarian who would recycle, drive a hybrid, and do
other energy-saving techniques thought her own efforts were inadequate, what
does that say about the ordinary person who doesn’t? Does that person also feel
the “environment apocalypse” as strongly as Bergman? I know I didn’t
before reading the article. I only began recycling a couple of years ago when my
neighborhood received huge green trash bins where a truck would come every two
weeks to collect. However, I never thought that climate change would ever
amount to a huge problem even though I knew it existed and affected our lives. And I guess, like Bergman said, if I thought it
was really crucial, then “someone would
approach the President, tug on his sleeve, and whisper in his ear: It’s
time. Roll out the Teslas and solar panels.” The problem
is that when tragedy or something catastrophic happens, people usually would
wait for or rely on change from others, thinking that there is already someone out there who will save us. It’s a really strong message to help people reevaluate
their current living.
I think you may have hit on a very important limiting factor of mass change: motivation. A group of the greatest environmentalists may have the perfect plan for how to save the planet, but it is meaningless if they cannot inspire others to make the change happen.
ReplyDeleteIf I really think about it, it seems as though that is probably the greatest problem hindering environmental change right now; I think many of us are still waiting for a grand plan to save the world even though it exists. We simply are unaware of it or choose to be oblivious to it.