Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

9/15/2014

9/16/14 Ian Crowley

I find what Zizek has to say about the United States living in an isolated, "safe sphere" in Welcome to the Desert of the Real to be fascinating. I agree that the United States often seems to be out of touch with the events going on in the rest of the world. According to Zizek it wasn't until 9/11 that Americans were truly able to understand the tragedy that occurs throughout the world. I think it is essential that Americans raise their awareness of events similar to 9/11 that take place in other nations on a daily basis. To me Zizek's view on the bombing of the twin towers is interesting, but also a bit disturbing. He points out that the United States got what it had fantasized about in movies including Escape from New York and Independence Day. On 9/11 Americans' fantasies came true and the metaphorical bubble burst. It became evident that the United States isn't impenetrable and Americans are not completely safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.