“Apocalypse” is a term which has been in common use since
the 13th century, but events and disasters for which the word would
be an apt description date back to the beginning of written history and
presumably even earlier. That being said, Junot Diaz, in Apocalypse: What
Disasters Reveal, argues that the key to avoiding disaster is to simply become
aware of the causes of each one and to implement some plan which attempts to
avoid another apocalypse from occurring. It is readily apparent to me that Diaz
(perhaps out of convenience for his message) has left out tremendous amounts of
evidence, namely historical references, which can lead one to correctly assume
that learning a lesson cannot be the only factor involved. I think that Diaz is
able to argue his point because he does not draw attention to the fact that
such a large population cannot simply change its policies or even respond to an
event in a timely fashion: in the modern world, it is perhaps impossible to
mobilize all seven billion plus inhabitants. With that in mind, consider how
society and political bodies have responded to massive apocalypses in the past,
be it the black plague, the Yangzte River Flood in the early 20th
century, or smallpox, given enough time, these disasters have been somehow
prevented from occurring again (and in the case of diseases and viruses,
innumerable regulations and standards have lowered the rates of infection for
new diseases). The lessons we must look to are the responses to those horrible
events. To close, I am not attempting to refute Diaz in saying that each
disaster should be a lesson, quite the opposite actually; I only wish to show
that in attempt to learn, the lessons that others have learned throughout
history must be considered as well, otherwise, we run the risk of interpreting incorrectly
the very events we would like to prevent. Is that not a far more dangerous
possibility?
I think you provide an interesting qualification to Díaz' argument. While I agree that it is not plausible to expect an entire planet of 7 billion people to change their ways, I do believe that it is reasonable for a small group of very influential leaders to be conscientious of the effects of their decisions. Maybe Haiti would not be the poor country it is today if French and other western influences had not tampered with their trade laws after the slaves won their independence. In a way, it seems as if Haiti was "punished" for its successful slave revolt with crippling trade agreements placed upon them by other countries. In cases like this I will certainly expect a small group of influential individuals not to abuse their power by playing economic games with a fragile country. It is situations like this that must be prevented so that each country, social class, etc. has access to fair play. I admire the thoughtfulness of your response and I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.
ReplyDelete