Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

9/24/2014

Contagion


    The movie Contagion deals with many interesting aspects of a worldwide crisis. I thought the most interesting thing to see in the movie were the reactions that people all over the world had to this outbreak of disease. Although the ordinary citizens were scared and frustrated with the situation and with having to deal with roadblocks, riots, and their loved ones dying, the doctors that were working on the vaccine were so efficient. It has always amazed me what the human person is capable of in a crisis. In this example, a vaccine was invented and sent out to the masses in only 133 days after the disease broke. It makes me hopeful that in real life, if a crisis such as this were to occur, there would be a solid group of people who could look past their fear and the destruction to make a change. A crisis is really the best impetus for change, and as the author of “My Imaginary Bunker” was so concerned with global warming, I believe more and more people will begin to see global warming as a crisis that needs to be seriously addressed. If people see it as a crisis, they will be willing to spend exponentially more energy and time on fixing the problem.

4 comments:

  1. "It makes me hopeful that in real life, if a crisis such as this were to occur, there would be a solid group of people who could look past their fear and the destruction to make a change."

    The question that comes to mind when I read this is:
    "Would I be the person that looked past my fear to help?"

    Interesting thought, let's hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your view because it's positive, but I didn't think like that when I watched the movie. I thought it actually took a long time to make the vaccine. Millions of people died, even though they had advanced technology and scientists. It seemed very disorganized. I hope if we have a similar crisis that it would not be like the movie. That the scientists or investigators would know the source ahead of time and save more lives by being more efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This movie freaked me out. The mere possibility that something as horrible like this could happen occasionally keeps me awake at night. But I appreciate your stand on this matter. You keep the positivity alive and allow others to be hopeful in a time when most are not. It is a special talent that a crisis like this would need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you said "A crisis is really the best impetus for change." I think this relates a lot to most of the articles we've read in this class. Every writer- Zizek, Diaz, Klein- was concerned with what the result of a disaster would be on society.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.