Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

9/22/2014

Shock Doctrine Response

    After reading the Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein, I realized some really valid points that she brought up. In this book, the topic of "shock" is introduced and discussed throughout the text. She mentions that the government uses tragedies as a way to do things that they wanted to do. While reading this I was quite bothered about how some people looked at these disasters. Saying that "We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it, but God did" is very insensitive to say. It is taking the end of many lives and the destruction of homes and turning it into a positive thing. I understand that it is positive to look at the glass "half full" but I think that making their lives better should be the main priority, but not trying to profit off of a civilizations downfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.