Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].
9/10/2014
Blog Post - Junot Diaz - Apocalypse: What Disasters May Reveal
Diaz makes a very crucial point with this essay, one which I had not considered myself. The damage of a "natural disaster" extends far beyond the point at which such disasters fall out of the forefront of public news. Haiti, viewed here as a symbol for the imminent future of society, creates a powerful image of devastation on all fronts (economic, social, structural, etc), one that we may see extended to the rest of the world sooner than we imagine. At the completion of my high school career, I returned home from boarding school to find a nearly post-apocalyptic scene in my bedroom: The walls were lined with nearly 14 years of junk, the closets were overflowing, and the space entirely cramped. Over the next 2-3 weeks, I went through a long and difficult, albeit incredibly cathartic process of cleaning out the entirety of the room. Over that period, I went through every item or scrap in the space and got rid of everything I didn't want. In essence, I was cleaning out my life. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, and in it, I see a parallel to the current state of affairs: The powers that be are nothing more than a big teenager who doesn't want to clean his room. With a disaster like Haiti or Japan, it's almost as if the big teenager has just broken a lamp in the room, and instead of throwing out the pieces and starting new, he instead decides to polish the shards scattered across the floor, leaving them sitting there, perfectly situated to step on later.
Labels:
09/11/2014,
Casey Batterbee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The comparison you made of the world's superpowers to a teenager who doesn't want to clean his room is surprisingly accurate. One thing that is different between the two is that the teenager may be content with the mess in his room, and because no one else is subjected to go in his room, he can leave the mess if he so chooses. However, in the world, everything is interconnected, and no matter how apathetic the powerful countries in the world are, they have a responsibility to clean out the room and must follow through with this responsibility.
ReplyDelete