Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].
9/22/2014
I find it ironic that a mission which appears sound in its morals could cause so much damage. Before I read the excerpt and explored Klein's findings further, implementing charter schools at face value does not seem like a harmful project. Improving schools and educating children is typically not a mission that is condemned; until now. Hurricane Katrina, despite hitting in 2005, and its effects are nowhere near rectified. While we sometimes forget about Hurricane Katrina's lasting and detrimental impacts on New Orleans, Klein shed an eye opening light on the violent ripples it has caused. I was disturbed to read the selfishness of the corporate world and its careless choices that it made regarding this poor community. This corporate world, albeit small, is extremely powerful. It worries me that such a non-representative, closed minded organization of people can make such drastic choices that affect so many lives.
Labels:
9/22/2014,
Lizzie Fineman
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you are correct about the corporate world's irresponsibility. Certain decisions can be very profitable for a handful of people and completely disastrous for the rest of the population. When reading about Hurricane Katrina it strikes me as odd that the government would be willing to take such urgent steps to recreate the school systems. Will their decision to replace public schools with charter schools leave certain children out? I think there is research that needs to be done to find out what the aggregate effect of this maneuver was so we can make a sound judgement as to whether it was the fair thing to do to a city that already suffered from schooling issues.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that the corporate world was quite selfish during after Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005. In my opinion the decision to diminish the number of public schools and implement charter school in New Orleans was quite thoughtless. The negative effect this would have on poor communities was not taken into account. The fact that many students and school teachers would be left behind was considered.
ReplyDeleteI agree with most of what you say, but I don't know that I could call the corporate world small - it's integrated with almost every level of business and government. Regarding the sheer power these corporations hold, I too am uncomfortable with the level of power they hold. Take for example Google: seemingly overnight they vaulted to the forefront of technology in many areas: wireless communication, marketing, transportation, etc. Google, in conjunction with other massive corporations, has the power to do practically whatever they want (SOPA shutdown). Pretty scary stuff...
ReplyDelete