Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

9/24/2014

"My Imaginary Bunker"

I really enjoyed Bergman's tone: It was somewhat sarcastic and certainly humorous, but it really brought to light important details about a crucial issue. I particularly enjoyed her bit about armchair activism, as well as her observation that, try as she might, in this world it is still very difficult to do your part for the good of the environment (even when you drive a prius, eat vegetarian, and drink out of salsa jars). I think the world would benefit from having more people like Bergman (without the anxiety), but I think the average person does far less than even the neurotic author of this article. In some ways the article is an admittance of her own failures, but even more, it points out the failures of the human race as a whole, failures which we will soon have to deal with.

3 comments:

  1. The reading definitely had a different style from what we're used to reading and I think that's what gets our attention, especially the younger generation. Although, it's very cynical of the efforts we have made, I think it's important that we do not lose sight of our small victories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you mentioned, I really liked the fact that Bergman realized her own faults; it proves that she is human like the rest of us and has a genuine interest in fixing the problem, not some "holier than thou" attitude that fails to recognize their own shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what everyone on here has said. The fact that Bergman points out her own flaws removes her from that class of self-entitiled writers who think they can do no wrong. I loved how scathing and nihilistic she was. The cynicism throughout made this a very enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.