Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

9/24/2014

My Imaginary Bunker

I thought this was a bit extreme... I understand that it's her personal views and maybe she can't help feeling so down about the environment, but I just can't comprehend being so depressed about it all the time. She's obviously trying very hard to do her part, but she's never satisfied with the things she does do to help, and it's frustrating for me as a reader for her to not see that she is making a difference. I do believe that it's very important to be concerned about the environment, but there's a thin line between being responsible for the earth and feeling melancholy on a daily basis because you didn't write the book that solves global warming.

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting to hear your point of view because mine was more similar to her. I can see where her views may have been a bit extreme. One of the reasons I may have related to her more was because I also tend to worry a lot without doing much about it. Once you down that downward spiral of anxiety it is hard to get out of it. As a solution, it is wise to be optimistic but also realistic with the situation at hand: to understand that it is what it is so all that one can do is to be the one that can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that her viewpoints were a little bit radical, but like Amanda said, things can sometimes seem so overwhelming and you lose focus for a little bit. Think of times when you thought you had so much homework to do but you had too little time. You were so focused on finishing it but you couldn't. While it's not the perfect analogy, it relates in that people are motivated to finish tasks that they truly want to fix, but oftentimes, those tasks are too hard and people fall short. Sometimes, like Bergman, they take it too hard. She has extreme ideas but they can sometimes be relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that her worry is really that she's not doing enough, but rather, she is physically unable to do enough. There are countless adages referring to the impossibility of solo conquests no matter how powerful or influential that individual may be. I think that her concern is that others will not do as she does and as a result, change cannot occur, or at best, the environment may be one millionth percent better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the above, but I feel that it shows a lot about Bergman's honesty with her opinion. She convinced me that she was genuinely concerned about the environment by taking the time to look at what she was "falling short" on, even though she does so much already.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.