Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

11/10/2014

Bounty

When reading Bounty, it was all too obvious to me the similarities between this and Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange. Although the language used in bounty isn't made up like it is in A Clockwork Orange, the word choice is reminiscent of older times, and there are a lot of words that I had to look up because I had never heard them before, which reminded me of when I was reading A Clockwork Orange and it felt like I was learning an entirely new language. The voice and tone of the two readings are also comparable. Other aspects that are similar are the use of drugs-- in this regard, what sparked my memory back to A Clockwork Orange the most was the use of the word "toot." It certainly isn't a word that people use now when they use cocaine (or is it? I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable on the subject), and the word has an almost comical feel to it, much like the words used in A Clockwork Orange. Although the stories unfold very differently, it's clear to see that these authors had similar ideas of a post-apocalyptic world.

2 comments:

  1. I also read The Clockwork Orange, and its bizarre language was confusing, but definitely unique to the novel. The book would not have the same effect on us if its language was not so confusing because you are right that it creates the illusion of a dystopian society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also somewhat confused by the word toot. I'd never heard it before. I looked up the origin and it seems that it was used a lot in the 1960's. I don't think it's all that common anymore.

    I agree with your statement that the humorous qualities are very reminiscent of a clockwork orange.I haven't read the book, but the movie is great.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.