I thoroughly enjoyed reading George Saunders visual novella, Bounty. This novella touched upon many themes such as discrimination, familial ties, and slavery. It also reminded me of the other works we have read in class and led me to draw a parallel to Connie's tail and Eliza's tail ( from the Blackhole comics).
In this novella I found it very powerful how Chris decides to give up everything in order to find his sister Connie. He gives up his job(which is very rare for a flawed to have), security, and his home so that he can make sure his sister is safe. Along the path to his sister he faces many obstacles, gets tortured and even loses his virginity(which can be associated with him losing his innocence). However what I found most powerful was that even after he finds his sister at the end, he doesn't continue on with the job that Corbett provides, but goes out to change the world. He does this because he when he see's his sister's baby he says out loud " I've never loved anyone so much in my life.....I beg them to repeal the Slave Edict and grant her full citizenship. I ask them to consider their own children and honor that part of the eternal that resides within them." This shows us how he doesn't want Connie's child to go through the same hardships that he went through and believes in his fathers words that "that in time you meek shall inherit the earth." However instead of staying passive he decided to go out and join a rebel group to help other flawed's and change this oppressive system.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.