Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].
11/10/2014
Bounty
While reading Bounty, what really stood out to me was the division of social classes based on physical features. Those that were "flawed" were looked down upon by those that were "normal." This reminded me of Black Hole when Chris caught the "bug" that led to a physical deformity and isolation from her "normal" life. The readers of Black Hole were able to compare how people viewed her before and after she caught the sexually transmitted disease. Although these deformities in Bounty and Black Hole don't necessarily exist in reality, they bring up issues that are close to home. It made me think of events in U.S. history such as slavery and racial discrimination. I interpreted those of colored skin as those that were "flawed" and those that weren't as "normal." The imbalanced relationship between the victim and the perpetrator in Bounty greatly resembled the relationship between people of color and people that weren't of color. It's always refreshing to read fictional texts that address current or past situations because it allows me to see important aspects of an issue that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.
Labels:
11/11/2014,
Amanda Jung
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I find the comparison you made between Bounty and Black Hole very important, because it shows that many apocalyptic authors are exploring physical deformities that lead to people to be treated in a way that causes a social apocalypse. I think we as a society need to learn from the past stereotypes that were held and the exploration of violence based on physical attributes in literature and try to change our ways.
ReplyDeleteI drew a similar connection between the flawed and the normals. It was a really well crafted story that mirrored things that have happened in our history very well. that's what I found so cool about it: although it was fictional, it was clear and easy to draw connections that events that have happened throughout our history.
ReplyDelete