Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

11/10/2014

Bounty

I found this novella fascinating and entertaining. From the first page, the tone was set and I was very intrigued and excited to read on. Saunders has a real gift for writing and he kept me engaged for all 25 pages.
One of the aspects I found most interesting was that Saunders chose not to portray all normals and all flaweds in the exact same way. Rather than portraying all normals as horrible people, they were portrayed more as slaves the system in their own regard. While the flaweds were truly the enslaved population, the normals that showed sympathy were not really able to express that. Of course there were many who were cruel and condescending towards the flaweds, but not all were the same. This added a level of truthfulness to this dystopian novella. 
I found this to be one of the most interesting readings we have done so far. 

4 comments:

  1. I also found it interesting that some of the Normals weren't portrayed as horrible. I think the main reason that Saunders did this was to show that even in the darkest of times, there is still some good in the world and that the future, while seemingly bleak, as portrayed in the story, has the possibility to be bright

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I thought the reading was engaging. I was also glad to see that not everyone thought of the flaweds as awful people

    ReplyDelete
  3. This directly relates to contemporary issues where people in the majority sympathize with the minority, but do not do anything to express their views. Evil prospers when good people do nothing, which is illustrated in this novella when the man Cole stole a cake for tells him to leave immediately once he realizes he is a Flawed. People act in their own self-interest, which allows bad ideas to prosper, because people care more about their own needs than the needs of the oppressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Alex mentioned before me, it is great to read a story that relates to issues that we face in society today. In addition to this, I too found Saunders' tone and voice very engaging and interesting, making the story a great read overall.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.