Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

11/05/2014

Blackhole

            

I found the comic Blackhole to be very interesting and also very thought-provoking. One of the harder pages to read was the scene when Chris visits her best friend from high school and Marci is telling Chris about what she has been doing and showing her recent pictures of their friends. This causes a rift in the two girls’ friendships because there is a disconnect between the two girls. Marci can’t comprehend what Chris has experienced because of her condition, and gets offended when Chris says that Kyle’s hair “looks kind of dumb”. However, in light of everything Chris experienced, it is only natural that she would find everyday life and typical high school “kind of dumb”. This shows that once someone has experienced an apocalyptic event and is living in an apocalyptic world, it is almost impossible for that person to relate to the people who have not been affected by the apocalypse. Although Chris and Marci love each other, they can’t seem to relate to one another as they once did. This is one sad outcome of apocalypses.

3 comments:

  1. I think this doesn't just apply to post-apocalyptic societies. Even today, people have a hard time connecting because of differences. It's hard to imagine being in someone else's shoes without actually experiencing the things they have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Amanda. For someone to go through an impossible struggle, it's hard for them to explain it to another person. Off the top of my head, I can think of my friend Philip, whose dad passed away when we were 10. I could never imaging what Phil has gone through and could never expect him to try to explain it to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was a great point. I feel like this happens a lot in different ways in today's world. An occurrence that comes to my mind are the soldiers who come back after serving in wars. The events they have gone through are so traumatic that it is hard for them to adjust and relate to their friends and family.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.