Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

11/05/2014

11/06/14 Cristal Kim

In my selection, I noticed the motif of smoking and cigarettes; most notably, Rob says "You are what you smoke" to Chris before he transmits the disease to her. In society, smoking is viewed negatively. We constantly hear about the dangers and consequences of smoking, so the phrase, "You are what you smoke," mirrors the other common idiom to represent that Rob is the embodiment of vice. He spreads the "bug," the consequences of sexually transmitting this disease. Then he dreams of Chris asking for a light but the cigarette begins to take other mutated forms; now, he begins to view cigarettes negatively. Before, he admitted to smoking Kools, but now he sees how demented and twisted they are. He obviously blames himself for Chris, that cigarettes are no longer a pleasure for him but a symbol of the disease. And then there's Lisa who begins to take up smoking after she experiences changes and feels betrayed. After experiencing a life changing experience, in an almost apocalyptic manner, smoking is just a vice to give into. Especially, now, with no one to turn to, Lisa finds she has no reason not to smoke now that she views her life as irreparable. Abandoned and alone, there is no stopping her from giving into her vices. Furthermore, the passage I selected, shows Rob trying to stop her from smoking. He is shocked to see her picking up the habit because he is aware of the consequences and the negative he has of them now.

5 comments:

  1. The line "You are what you smoke" stood out to me while I was reading Blackhole as well, but I didn't pick up on the whole motif of smoking in the graphic novel. I agree with your statement that Lisa started smoking because she sees no reason to stay healthy and value her life in her post-apocalyptic existence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it very interesting that you also picked up on the repetition of smoking. In Blackhole, smoking serves as an escape from the real world, and as you said, shows the limited positives in this world. It is unique to see smoking shown in such a positive light as it is in Blackhole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you and Amanda, the line "you are what you smoke" stood out to me too. It reminded me of the line "you are what you eat." Other than that, I didn't think much about it. I thought this was an interesting reading of the repetition of smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smoking and drinking both seemed to be escapes; whenever any character was somewhat sober they were unhappy. I found it interesting that the characters only wanted to live in their delusional high because their normal life was so terrible. It was quite sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was interesting that you pointed to this being an apocalyptic experience in a way even though it was a more personal one. Maybe that is a way to view apocalypse as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.