Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

11/10/2014

Bounty

The reading was very interesting. Cole was flawed because of his deformed feet, something he had no control of; and he was marked by his bracelet, so people could literally identify him as a man that "may literally be purchased and enslaved". It reminded me a lot about the Holocaust, in which many were marked with symbols so that other people could identify them as inferior and to be enslaved like in the Concentration Camps. One specific type of people were Jewish identical twins. They had no control of being genetically identical. This was something they were born with, but were considered flawed and the people in power felt that they could enslave and experiment as much as they want on the young children who were twins. Or even more comparative to the story were the disabled people during the Holocaust who were tortured and enslaved because of their physical disabilities. This story really helps to draw parallels to many types of discrimination that occurred throughout history.

2 comments:

  1. My blog post also commented on Cole's flawed feet. I thought it was interesting how we both pointed out that he was being unfairly persecuted over a birth defect that he has no control over, and is virtually seen as a social outcast because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you connected a major historical event to the book because as soon as I read your blog post I realized how strongly they are related.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.