I will be answering the third prompt for my final essay on
zombies. First, I will attempt to define the “zombie” genre, although
accomplishing this goal is difficult, because at the basis of the genre is a
myth. This myth has changed throughout the 20th and 21st
century, and zombie works differ considerably with the portrayal of zombies.
Furthermore, I will address what makes the zombie genre so prevalent in
society. I will bring up the use of zombies as a reaction to war and societal
disasters such as 9/11, a reaction to consumerism, and a portrayal of the
feelings of hopelessness that are present in society. I also find it
interesting how humans have a very strong relationship to zombies, because they
are us. We see characteristics of zombies in ourselves, and this increases the public’s
interest in zombies even more.
This is a good topic; especially when you're discussing the aftermath of real-life disasters such as 9/11. I think your part about the relationships formed between zombies and humans will be most interesting because it is a topic constantly brought up in this genre when considering the morals of it all.
ReplyDeleteI'm really interested to see how you will tie in the mythological aspect of zombies into your essay. It also sounds like the connection to war and hopelessness sounds really interesting and like you are on your way to a great essay.
ReplyDeleteI really like your point about humans having a strong relationship with zombies. I think that it's a smart idea to connect zombies with real catastrophic events. It'll be interesting to compare and contrast the similarities and differences they share with us.
ReplyDeleteYour plan sounds very interesting. I plan to do a similar topic by connecting realistic disasters to zombie apocalypses. There are so many realistic attitudes and emotions associated with zombie apocalypses that can relate to real human reactions in modern society.
ReplyDelete