Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].

12/02/2014

The Walking Dead

"In a world rule by the dead, we are forced to finally start living." - The Walking Dead, Volume 1. 

I really enjoyed reading this graphic novel, as it is compelling and insightful. What may seem like a basic post-apocalypse-refugee camp is actually a perfect setting for meaningful character development, as proven by Robert Kirkman's profound use of realism to convey his points about human nature. The dynamic that exists between the refugees at the campsite is all too realistic, as feelings of jealousy, anxiety, and mistrust overpower the fairytale emotions put forth by less intellectual authors. I find the plot of "The Walking Dead" to be fascinating, as it takes an innately silly topic and uses it as a medium for complex drama and intelligent plot twists. I am intrigued by Kirkman's ability to kill off characters (and horses) that other authors may not have the heart to kill, as I believe this kicks up the realism of the situation. Not every "good person" makes it out alive, as characterized by the biting and eventual death of Jim. The camp setting is a truly a stomping ground for economic game theory, as each person's actions are inherently guided by self-interest, which provides for an intriguing plot to unfold. As this class progresses, I am gaining a true respect for the power of graphic novels in conveying relevant insights onto the topics they encompass. I will certainly be in the market for some more graphic novels after this class ends, so I hope to read more of "The Walking Dead" in the future!

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your point about the realism in the camp environment. It is amazing to see people's individual conflicts of personality and interest play out. It seems as though the author has created a fairly accurate portrayal of what the interactions might be like in a similar real world situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and I think that the way the camp environment was displayed in the graphic novel shows how even when people need to put aside their differences and work together to face an outside force, fights and internal conflicts inevitably spring up. I also feel the same way about graphic novels as you, and I'm so glad we got multiple exposures to them throughout this course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really appreciated Kirkman's realistic illustration of a post-apocalyptic world; he does not shy away from death or normal emotions like you mentioned. I think a lot of authors and their audiences focus more on the survival instinct rather than the more human aspect of it. However, Kirkman focused on this development rather than delving into unnecessary detail about fighting zombies, etc; he touched on the real danger: it's not the zombies that kill, it's humans themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree that I am appreciating graphic novels more and more as the class progresses! I like the point you made about Kirkman killing off characters that most people wouldn't have the heart to. For example, in the ending scene, I was hoping Shane would be killed off but didn't think the author would allow it. I thought that because keeping Shane would mean more drama within the story. To my surprise, he killed him off just as I hoped.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.