This is the third time this semester (and in my life) that I have loved a graphic novel. I think I am really starting to get into this genre as a serious form of literary entertainment.
The Walking Dead has been one of those shows that, since it came out, I have wanted to watch, but have never committed myself to. So this was a great introduction.
One thing I really liked about this graphic novel in particular was how quickly it moved. Within the first 10 panels you knew what it was basically about and who Rick Grimes was. And from there, no time was wasted on any bullshit. The authors cut right to it and moved it along at a enjoyable clip. Additionally, I found much of what was said to be very poignant. Like some people have noted, the part about how she was such a nice girl, and how the zombie infection didn't pick and choose its victims really stood out to me.
Also, after I read this first volume, I watched the first episode in the series. I loved it. I was really amazed at how closely it followed the first bit of the graphic novel. Reading the descriptions of the first 6 episodes on netflix, it seems like the first season is mainly the first volume of the graphic novel with some extra stuff thrown in.
Maybe now I will start watching the show and find the rest of the graphic novel to binge watch/read over winter break!
I like what you said about the authors moving the plot along at an enjoyable clip. It really allowed me to get into the story as I was frantically scrolling down to see what would happen next. Your comments about the dialogue being poignant ring true as well, as I found the writing to be very deliberate in its meaning. I must admit that I did not enjoy the show as much as I enjoyed the graphic novel, however, it was still extremely entertaining to watch. I guess reading the graphic novel first made me expect the TV show to follow along with the original plot precisely, which is an unrealistic expectation. Regardless, I very much enjoyed The Walking Dead and am glad you enjoyed it as well!
ReplyDeleteI barely read comics before coming to this class, and I too have loved all the comics that we have read so far. I too was surprised in seeing the similarities between the comic and show. If you liked the comic and show you will enjoy the rest of the show as well, I highly encourage you to binge watch it haha.
ReplyDelete