Hi! Please don't forget to label your posts with the date the reading is due and your name and last name. So, for example, for the first blog post I would label my post with these two tags "09/11/2014" and "Ali Bolcakan" [without the quotes of course].
12/03/2014
The Walking Dead
The graphic novel of the Walking Dead illustrated the common feeling and hope in an apocalyptic society where a separated family feels that their reunion will be the savior and will fix all their problems. AS Rick said, he was just a man looking for his family and would do anything to find them. However, to the belief that finding the family will fix everything didn't go as such in The Walking Dead. In this graphic novel, the return of Rick only made things worse, ultimately leading to the deaths of three characters, including Rick's best friend. This opposite of what was thought to happen exemplifies how not everything goes as planned, and when people are put into extremely difficult situations, they can occasionally lose themselves and sight of their ultimate goal, as shown with Shane. The graphic novel showed the change in a person's character as they are continually exposed to an apocalyptic society.
Labels:
12/04/2014,
Jake Pozin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with everything you said except the bit about Rick's arrival making things worse. I feel as though his presence made things safer (the attacks from the zombies would have happened either way) because of the guns he accrues as well as the murder of Shane. Shane's death opens up a path for them to leave that obviously unsafe area (when this happens I'm not sure) and eliminates the subtle power struggle between them.
ReplyDeleteThat however does not detract from your main point, with which I wholeheartedly agree. It is obviously tough to keep on task when random event after random event is thrown in front of one and the novel does an excellent job of reminding us that in an apocalypse, such occurrences are inevitably common.
I think one huge part of apocalypses are that they are such a surprise, and hit many without them being prepared. The notion of Rick's life not going as plan attests to this concept as well. Also, zombies do not go as planned. They are creatures that should have died, but have instead, stayed somewhat alive.
ReplyDelete